Pinning down the slippery Arminian and Calvinist

Arguments/positions in defense of Evangelical Universalism.

Pinning down the slippery Arminian and Calvinist

Postby [email protected] » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:14 am

I have written a defense of the victorious gospel at http://www.dgjc.org/optimism.
I have answered objections here http://www.dgjc.org/optimism/appendix.
Here is a reprint of one of my answers for further feedback.

A Question>> I logically understand your thesis that Christ is the Savior of all Mankind and would like to believe it. However, I just cannot let go of the centuries of Christian scholars who have defended both Arminianism and Calvinism. Why would I want to change?

A Reply>> I can fully understand why it is difficult to let go of either Calvinism or Arminianism. These systems have existed for centuries and so have a long history of existence. These systems have also been written about over and over again. They have been discussed, debated, and refined. Furthermore the overwhelming majority of those who profess Christ as Savior have adopted the rhetoric of one of these systems, albeit with some adjustment here or there. So there may be little reason to consider a radical change that would rock the boat of your particular Christian community. There may be little reason, except for one reason. If the systems of Calvinism and Arminianism do fall short of truly accepting the grace of Christ as I have proposed, then you will meet with the wrath of God for your unrepentant self-righteousness instead of commendation as you currently suppose.

Would you be willing to walk through an outline of possible understandings? Which camp would you place yourself in below?

1) Victorious Gospel
a. Christ’s death satisfied the wrath of God for all mankind.
b. Believers are saved from sin to paradise, unbelievers are punished in Hades.
c. All mankind is saved from the Lake of Fire, prepared for the Devil & his angels.
d. This view is faithful to Scripture and faithful to the character of God’s grace.
e. Both feet are planted solidly on both the depth and breadth of God’s love.

2) Calvinism
a. Christ’s death satisfied the wrath of God for a subset of mankind.
b. The Holy Spirit effectively brings the chosen subset to repentance and faith.
c. Those punished in Hades are also damned to the Lake of Fire.
d. This view is like the Jews who claimed to be elect while gentiles are not elect.
e. One foot is planted on the depth of God’s love, but the other foot on hypocrisy.

3) Arminianism
a. Christ’s death potentially satisfies the wrath of God for all mankind.
b. Individual people exercise their free will to accept Christ and then are saved.
d. This view reminds me of the graceless religions of the gentile world.
e. One foot is planted on the breadth of God’s love, the other on human condition.

4) Mediation
a. Christ’s death satisfies God's wrath effectively for some, nominally for the rest.
b. Two mediating methods
i. The Holy Spirit effectively brings the chosen subset to repentance and faith.
ii. Individual people exercise their free will to accept Christ and then are saved.
d. This view is really Calvinism or Arminianism in disguise or double mindedness.

5) Simple faith and the Victorious Gospel is wrong
a. Simple faith that all people are sinners and Christ died for sinners.
b. Sinners are invited to trust Christ, but avoid debate and theology.
c. The Victorious Gospel is wrong because unbelievers are certainly damned.
d. This view is unfair to call the Victorious Gospel wrong without Scripture.
e. One foot appears to be planted on God’s love, but the other on tradition.

6) Simple faith and the Victorious Gospel may be right
a. Simple faith that all people are sinners and Christ died for sinners.
b. Sinners are invited to trust Christ, but with ignorance of the extent of God’s love.
c. The Victorious Gospel sounds hopeful, and they may want to learn more.
d. This view appears interested in Scripture and grace more than tradition.
e. One foot appears to be planted on grace, but no certainty of who God loves.

May God speak to your heart and lead you to receive his grace and unconditional love toward both you and your neighbor, apart from any human condition.

Sincerely,

Jeff
[email protected]